Joanna Kisielińska-Garncarek PhD
Specializes in litigation, arbitration. Her practice focuses on various disputes with business law aspects, including ones arising from M&A transactions and from construction and infrastructure projects.
Represents Clients before the general courts and in arbitration proceedings (at, among other forums, the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, the International Arbitration Association, the Arbitration Court of the National Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw, and the Arbitration Court of Lewiatan Confederation, and also in ad hoc proceedings). Also serves as secretary to Polish and international arbitration tribunals.
Successfully participated in international moots in the fields of human rights and commercial arbitration; more recently, she contributed to such events in the role of judge / arbitrator. Author of publications in the realms of arbitration, law of obligations, and comparative law.
As part of her pro bono work, cooperates with the Po Drugie Foundation dedicated to supporting at-risk youth and lectures on the basics of law at Warsaw secondary schools.
With GESSEL since 2015.
- Co-author: [Does the arbitrator know the law? Jura novit curia vs the principle of not ambushing the parties in international arbitration] [in:] Księga jubileuszowa dedykowana Profesorowi Andrzejowi Kidybie, Warszawa 2020
- Co-author: Arbitration of M&A Transactions: A Practical Global Guide, 2020
- Co-author: GAR European Arbitration Review 2020 – Poland (11.2019)
- Co-author: [Arbitrability of a dispute concerning exclusion of a shareholder in an llc. Commentary to the ruling by the Court of Appeal in Katowice dated 15 December 2016, V ACz 1309/16], Glosa 2019, nr 1
- Co-author: Report on Main Features of Declarations in Poland [in:] B. Gessel-Kalinowska vel Kalisz, The Legal Real and Converged Interest in Declaratory Relief, 2019
- Co-author: GAR European Arbitration Review 2019 – Poland (11.2018)
- Author: [The problem of legal protection for the creditor in fraudulent conveyance proceedings involving a third party], Przegląd Sądowy 2017, nr 6
- Author: [Deadline for application for a finding of a disposal to the detriment of a creditor to be invalid – commentary – III CZP 99/15, Monitor Prawniczy 2017, nr 6
- Author: Objektive Anfechtungsvoraussetzungen von actio Pauliana im deutschen und polnischen Recht, Comparative Law Review 2015, nr 20
- Author: [Commentary to the Supreme Court judgment of 29.04.2015, IV CSK 459/14 – Admissibility of a fraudulent conveyance challenge to waiver of a perpetual usufruct title], Rejent 2016, nr 4(300)
- Author: [Commentary to the Supreme Court judgment of 28 November 2014, I CSK 33/14 – Concerning the “future creditor” within the meaning of art. 530 of the Polish Civil Code], Palestra 2016, nr 3
- Author: [Entry of a compulsory mortgage as security for a fraudulent conveyance claim – Commentary to the Supreme Court judgment of 7 November 2014 (IV CSK 76/14)], Monitor Prawa Bankowego 2016, nr 03(64)
- Author: [Gratuitous acts in law in the context of fraudulent conveyance rules in the newest Supreme Court jurisprudence], Monitor Prawa Bankowego 2015, nr 09(58)
- Author: [The legal phenomenon of ghostwriting in Poland – Where to draw the line ?] [in:] Prawo cywilne w świetle obecnej regulacji i pożądanych zmian (red. E. Kabza, K. Krupa-Lipińska), Toruń 2014
- Author: [Personal legal interests protection on the web – The issue of fictitious social media accounts], ICT Law Review 2014, nr 1(3)
- Author: [Commercialisation of rights in one’s image under Polish law] [in:] Polskie prawo cywilne wobec wyzwań współczesności (red. E. Kabza, K. Krupa-Lipińska), Toruń 2013
- Author: [Resolution of disputes over internet domains – the example of the WIPO’s Arbitration and Mediation Centre] [in:] Quo Vadis, Arbitrażu? (red. A. Garnuszek, L. Mazur, A. Orzeł), Warszawa 2013
- graduated of the Faculty of Law and Administration of Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun (2014)
- a course in English and European law at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun
- the German law programme offered by the University of Gdansk in cooperation with the University of Cologne
- a course on German law and legal terminology at the Hochschule Bremen on a DAAD scholarship
- admitted to practice as an attorney in 2018
- in January 2021, successfully presented her PhD thesis entitled “Legal effectiveness of actio pauliana in Polish and German law”