Maja specializes in litigation and arbitration. She is the leader of the GESSEL for Climate project, which initiated the first citizen climate lawsuits in Poland. Her practice encompasses disputes in the broad field of business law, including international trade.
Maja specializes in litigation and domestic and international arbitration proceedings (including, among others, before the ICC Arbitration Court, the Swiss Arbitration Centre, and the Arbitration Court at the National Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw).
She gained experience in leading law firms, where she represented clients before Polish and foreign courts and institutions (such as the Financial Supervision Commission, the European Court of Human Rights, the European Commission, and the European Union Intellectual Property Office). She has successfully conducted litigation involving financial institutions, including banking entities, before the general courts and the Polish Supreme Court.
She also acts as administrative secretary of arbitration tribunals.
Maja is the leader of the GESSEL for Climate team, which brought the first citizen climate lawsuits related to responsibility for contributing to the climate crisis.
- Represented a research institute in a dispute with a foreign contractor over a laboratory testing contract before the Swiss Arbitration Centre (Geneva)
- Represented an IT company in an M&A transaction dispute before the ICC International Court of Arbitration (London)
- Represented clients in a dispute over correctness of the expert determination procedure before the Arbitration Court at the Polish Chamber of Commerce (Warsaw)
- Represented a company in a contract dispute before the ICC International Court of Arbitration (Vienna)
- Represented a company from the financial sector in a dispute from an M&A transaction before the Arbitration Court at the Polish Chamber of Commerce (Warsaw)
- Represented an FMCG company in proceedings to declare enforceable and set aside an award issued in ad hoc arbitration proceedings
- Represented an investment fund in proceedings to set aside an award issued by the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce
- Represented banks in disputes over foreign currency denominated loan agreements before the general courts and obtained a favourable ruling for the client before the Supreme Court
- Represented a hospital in proceedings concerning effectiveness of the exercise of the right of pre-emption before the courts of first and second instance and before the Supreme Court
- Represented a foreign air carrier in a dispute with passengers
- Represented a bank in a class action brought by an organization representing consumers
- Represented a client in proceedings concerning the winding down of acompany due to a conflict between its shareholders and management board members
- Represented a mutual fund company in a dispute with an online service over infringement of personal rights
- Represented a game developer in a premises lease dispute
- Represented a banking company in a labour dispute
- Represented a financial sector client in proceedings before the European Court of Human Rights
- Represented a foreign company in a dispute with the Financial Supervision Commission before an administrative court
Training event “Performance of contracts in international trade”
On 31 January 2023, GESSEL, working in collaboration with Rzeczpospolita, presented an online training event for businesses looking to expand onto international markets ...
Education and achievements
- Legal studies at the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw (2015)
Studies in French and European law at the Centre for French Law of the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw organized in cooperation with the University of Poitiers (2015)
- Master’s degree in instrument studies, Instrument and Pedagogic Faculty of the Frederic Chopin University of Music in Warsaw